Monday, July 12, 2010

Courageous and Necessary.


I like to think of myself as a brave warrior. I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy, but there are few things that truly manifest itself as fear inside me. I'm not afraid of snakes, I am just cautious in their presence. I don't have a fear of heights or large crowds, and you can ask Michael, I am no longer afraid of water. Some fears are driven by ignorance, some by experience, and others are just innate. When I discover a fear in myself, I usually try to bull my way through in an attempt to conquer it. I'm not saying that fear is bad, or a sign of weakness, I would just like think that knowledge, caution, and humility can destroy those that keep us bound and unable to have true life experience.
Tomorrow I have an appointment, an appointment that I've put off for several months, and tried to reschedule twice. I don't want to go. I can't stay focused just at the thought of it. Tomorrow I will go. I will be there at the scheduled time and I will do it. I have to. At 3pm I will be sitting in front of some sort of health care professional with an arsenal of needles. I'm not positive how many because the women wouldn't tell me over the phone. I've spoken with Michael, and Dave about it in hopes to get something, I'm not sure what. For situations like this Michael's advice is simple, suck it up, and get it done. Dave on the other hand called me yesterday to let me know that its gonna hurt like hell.
I think I'm well informed about the importance of getting these inoculations, I'm cautious and humble, but in this case it doesn't matter. I'm not afraid of the pain, I'm not fearful of whats in the needle. Its the damn needle! Regardless I've gotta suck it up and get it done. So if you have a moment, just say a few peaceful words tomorrow around 3 o'clock. Think relaxing thoughts for me. I'm doing this one for the youth at the Makindu Children's Center.

If you would like to do something courageous and necessary for the Children at the Makindu Childrens Center, then go to makindu.org or properwalk.com and donate. Also encourage others to do the same. You can also meet Michael, Dave and myself at REI in Short Pump in Richmond July 15th for a slideshow presentation about Africa and The Makindu Children's Program.

Thanks again,
Joshua

P.S. Clowns are strange and make me uncomfortable, I am not afraid of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment