Saturday, June 5, 2010

To Do List.


Greetings,
much has happened since my last post. Thanks to a series of rainstorms things have cooled down a bit, and I'm able to get in a few steps. Its hard to believe that in about 2 months, I will be on my way. I often feel like I'm in a whirlwind when I think about my to do list, which seems to grow like the Virginia Creeper crawling along the side of my house.
This past Friday I was able to check off a couple of things. For those that don't know, by day I'm a counselor at a private school in Goochland VA, U.S.A. I work directly with about 30 students, boys and girls, and another 15 indirectly. I love doing what I do.
Friday, Michael and I had the chance to educate these boys and girls about Africa, and the impact of HIV/AIDS on the continent. I opened the presentation with a drum call, and played a game of call and response with one student that mocked the drum with his mouth, and I repeated his vocal sounds with the drum. It was a rewarding exchange enjoyed by all. We've official gotten their attention, I could check that off the list. Michael followed up with a very entertaining, and educational slide show presentation. The slides included photos from walks of the past and stunning statistics, that seem to shock me no matter how many times I read them. Most of the children were on the edge of their seats, while others seemed to want to be elsewhere. When having to face facts such as these I can admit, sometimes I would rather be elsewhere. I spoke to the youth about purpose, and the ability of turning dreams into reality. We wrapped things up with a Q&A session, and shared conversations with small groups afterwards. Young people are so inquisitive.
Later in the evening we did it all over again. At this point the temperature had reached 93 degrees, humidity at a high, and no breeze in sight. This event was a bit more formal. I laugh when I think back. Just as I asked Michael about the dress code for the party, fellow walker Mr. Dave Brooks, phoned Michael to ask if he could wear shorts. Glad to know we are all on the same page.
This event was by invitation, and took place at the beautiful home of the Barnes'. On the behalf of the Makindu Children's Program, and proper walkers, I would like to thank Mr. and Mrs. Barnes for their unyielding hospitality, and use of their space to continue to raise peoples awareness of M.C.P. The refreshments were very nice, and the conversation was stimulating. Its great to be surrounded by people who share one common goal, to raise money to support the orphanage. Amongst this crowd of supporters I found that Mr. David Corrigan, who called this meeting, and will be walking in August, went to my high school many years ago.....Lol. Michael delivered his presentation as if it was his duty, and spectators were glued to every word. We mingled a bit, shared phone numbers, and donors were generous, another thing that I can check off my list!
The day had turned out to be a success. I'm sure that you're reading this thinking "ohh brother joshua, how can I host one of these parties in my lovely home?"(in my best Niecy Nash voice). And I say to you, just let me know when and where. More of these events are being planned as I type. Please stay tuned as I continue to check off my to do list. I will hopefully be able to announce a date for my benefit dinner, and blockbuster concert this week. Also in the coming days, you can follow my adventures including me completing a 10 mile walk, finding the perfect pair of synthetic silk underwear(for hiking), and getting my shots for the trip, that one will be a nail bitter.
I still encourage you to visit the websites so that you are better informed, and can make your contribution. Check out Makindu.org, and properwalk.com. I am responsible for raising $10,000 and can't do it without your support.
Thanks again for your time, and I will see you back here soon.
Walk good,
Joshua

No comments:

Post a Comment